Saturday, January 11, 2014

Playing Parts

Singing in a school talent show with my little sister (I was in 1st grade & she was in kindergarten)


I was cast in my first play when I was in kindergarten and from then on I was hooked on performing.  I still love theater.  I haven't performed since college, but love going to shows.  When I was little I wanted to be an actress (I think most little girls go through that period).  Performing is like a security blanket in the sense that you can be a completely different person.  You can hide behind the masks of costumes and characters so that when people are laughing at you, it isn't really you.  

Me in costume for a high school fundraiser

Masks are fine on stage, but it's when we wear them outside of the theater that they can become a handicap.  People always assume that if you are a performer that you are extremely extroverted.  I do love people and being social, but when it comes to being open about what I'm vulnerable about I'm very introverted.  I'm a very guarded person.  I want to start letting my guard down a little, be more open about how situations make me feel and not be afraid to share that, that is a big challenge for me.  I need to get over my off stage fright.  

With fellow cast members in a college production of The Elephant Man




No comments:

Post a Comment