Saturday, January 25, 2014

3 out of 32: Adopt a Pet

I have wanted a pet for years.  I had cats when I was very little mostly because my mother had married into them.  Twinkie and Tigris were a package deal with my dad.  My mom wasn't really a pet person so aside from goldfish won at hometown fairs and my sister Sarah's pet hamster (Keith Moon) we didn't have many pets in our elementary and high school years.

I love dogs and growing up Sarah and I would beg for a puppy.  But dogs require a lot of love and attention.  Even if I could rationalize paying for a dog walker, I don't think I'd be a good dog owner at this point in my life.  I'd only see the dog while getting ready for work and an hour (if I'm lucky) at night.  As much as I would love a dog, it wouldn't be fair to have me as an owner.

There are cats, but I had those as a kid.  I also do have this irrational fear of becoming the crazy single lady who lives alone with her cats.  This is what lead me to looking into rabbits.  I have loved rabbits since I was a little kid.  Bunnies are so cute.  I never really thought of them as pets though.  In NYC I know a few people who have rabbits for pets.  They are a good city pet when you think about it  They are easy to litter box train, don't need to be exercised, and are pretty inexpensive to maintain.  After you buy their pen, supplies, and toys, the only real cost is food which is fresh greens, hay, and fiber pellets.

My friend Izzy had recommended getting a rescue rabbit.  I loved the idea of giving a pet in need a home.  I fell in love with Milo last weekend.  He is a New Zealand mix, he is white and had pink eyes like a New Zealand, but they think he is mixed because of his size.  He is smaller than a New Zealand.


I ordered all of his things and was planning on picking him up today, but there was a delay in his stuff getting here.  I thought I was going to have to wait until tomorrow because the volunteers are only there until 5, but Susan (who is amazing) stayed until after 7 so I could pick up Milo tonight.  She told me that he was a special and loving boy and was so happy he was getting a home.

He is a little love bug.  He wasn't scared of me at all.  He was a little shy about his new surroundings but grew curious as he got comfortable with his playpen.  We had our first exercise time where I let him out of the pen for a while and it went well.  He was less interested in toys than he was running around the perimeter of the room.  He is a little love bug who loves to be petted, burrowing, fleece blankets, and eating lots of hay.

I hope to give him a little more our of cage time everyday so we can get to the point where when I'm home he can be out of his playpen.  We're still getting to know each other, but I already love this little guy so much.  It will be nice to come home to him waiting every night.

 Milo climbing on my lap

No comments:

Post a Comment