Thursday, January 2, 2014

32 Before 32

I spent New Year's Eve 2013 with my friend Jenn, who I've known since high school.  Jenn is one of the most creative and daring people I know.  She had mentioned a Thirty Before 30 Challenge she has been working on.  In between her last birthday and her upcoming birthday she has challenged herself to experience 30 new things she has always wanted or needed to.  I found this really inspiring and so much better than a new year's resolution.


I missed the boat on doing a Thirty Before 30 Challenge.  I turned 30 a year and a half ago and thought it was going to be this amazing milestone.  However, five days before my birthday I lost my mother who had been diagnosed with a glioblastoma brain tumor two and a half years earlier.  My father had past years earlier after a heart attack.  I've had to grow up a lot earlier than I would have liked to.  Even though I am in my 30s there is still a part of me that feels like an orphaned little girl.  There are moments when life gets a bit harder than normal and at those times I do wish I had a parent to hold me and tell me everything is going to be okay.



Although it doesn't substitute a mom or dad I am very lucky to have a number of amazing friends and family members in my life.  Since I wasn't in a celebratory mood for my real 30th birthday they surprised my for my 31st.  My NYC crew of friends took me out for a laid back evening of drinks, eats, and quality time with each other.  My friends Justin and Anthony threw me the nicest dinner party I have ever been to.  They took over my apartment and served a five start multi course feast for a group of close friends and family.  Despite any hardships I have, I know that I can get through them because I have this group of loving and wonderful people in my life.



Since I never had the opportunity to do a 30 Before Thirty, I am challenging myself before my next birthday.  I'll be 32 this August and in between now and then I have a goal to meet.  This is a combination of 32 new experiences to have and challenges to rise to.  I have 25 specific experiences/challenges I have come up with and the other seven I leave to chance (I like to leave room for life's little surprises).

I'll post these 32 experiences here as I complete them.

No comments:

Post a Comment