Friday, February 7, 2014

5 out of 32: Captain a Race Team

So in a previous post  I mentioned that for my goal of 32 things before 32 I had 25 prescribed things I need to do and that I would leave the remaining seven to chance.  Well number five is one of those chance things that wasn't planned but happened.

I love doing 5K and 10K runs.  This is amazing because I am a couch potato who only took up running in 2011.  I did the C25K program and in 2012 I did Bridge210K.  I don't run as much in the winter (especially this winter), but I look forward to the spring and fitting in a few runs a week.  I do some charity runs throughout the year.

Recently it was World Cancer Day and some friends and family and posted nice things about my mom, who passed away in 2012 after being diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor in 2010.  I would normally post something too, but this year I wanted to do something less passive.  So I looked for charity runs where the proceeds would go to finding a cure for brain tumors.  I found one in the NYC area in June.  I could have just signed up but instead I decided to become captain of a team.  I gave myself a goal of raising $250 for our team and recruiting 3 other members.  No members yet, but we have raised $115 dollars in just a couple of days.

I have four months to hit these goals, but just the shear act of this is amazing to me.  I never thought I'd be confident enough to captain a team for a run.  I really hope that my mom would have been proud of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment