Tuesday, July 1, 2014

18 Out of 32: Journal

When I recently went to San Francisco one of my favorite things to do was just walk through the neighborhoods.  I would take in the places and people.  When I needed a break I'd find a cafe to grab a coffee to read and people watch some more.  It reminded me of when I first moved to NYC.  That was how I got to know the city.

My favorite neighborhood was The Haight. I kept finding myself returning there to browse in funky clothing stores, grabbing a Cherry Blossom Latte or Jasmine Gelato at Coffee Cantana, and checking out all these sodas that I never knew existed at the Fizzary.   On my last trip to the neighborhood I picked up a journal at The Booksmith.  I haven't journaled since I was in college.

Photo by Walt Stoneburner 

I've blogged and had other writing outlets, but there is something to be said for journaling.  For me it has taken two forms.  One is a more traditional form of journaling which is just private conversations I have with myself.  My goal with this blog was to be as true to my voice as possible, but there is something to having a conversation with yourself that you can't replicate elsewhere.

The other form of journaling is less interesting, but has been helpful and that is just recording how what I do and intake make me feel.  I had a really bad couple of months of acid reflux and found that certain foods trigger it.  I made this realization through journaling what I eat.

Journaling can take all different forms.  About six months ago I reviewed old notes from the last time a journaled which was about 10 years ago.  It was interesting listening to my 21 year old self now.  I can't imagine what my 41 year old (gulp) self will think of what I'm writing now.


No comments:

Post a Comment